Super Bowl 49 was outstanding. The New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks played an instant classic. However, there are some things that need to be brought into focus — to help us gain perspective relative to the biggest event in American sports. Here are a few of my thoughts. Feel free to share your own in the comment section.
1. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll is not an idiot. He’s not dumb, stupid or any of the other million or so derogatory names he’s been called in the last 36 hours. He called a play. It didn’t work. It happens.
2. Malcolm Butler is the real Super Bowl MVP. The former University of West Alabama standout should be the one to get that new red pickup truck. And by all indications, New England quarterback Tom Brady is going to make sure he does.
3. These guys play at great personal risk. Richard Sherman needs Tommy John surgery. Earl Thomas and Donta Hightower need shoulder surgery. Kam Chancellor will have work done on his knee. Jeremy Lane has a compound fracture in his wrist. I know they get paid millions of dollars and blah, blah, blah, but you and I call in sick if we have a runny nose. Just appreciate the sacrifices these players make. No amount of money can buy back good health once it’s gone.
4. LeGarrette Blount got himself kicked off a very good Pittsburgh Steelers team and walked right into a Super Bowl winner. This should make us realize (again) that professional sports has nothing to do with real life.
5. Bruce Irvin and the other Seahawks who started that very ugly fight at the end of the Super Bowl should be ashamed of themselves. They lost the game, but there’s no reason to behave like losers.
Share your thoughts on the Super Bowl or any other topic in the comment section below or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.